“Down-to-earth” means someone or something that is honest, realistic and easy to deal with.
It is a pleasure to 1 someone who is down-to-earth. A person who is down-to-earth is easy to talk to and 2 other people as equal. A down-to-earth person is just the 3 of someone who acts important or proud.
Down-to-earth persons may be important members of 4 , of course. But they do not let their importance “ 5 to their heads.” They do not consider themselves to be better persons than 6 of less importance. Someone who is filled with his own importance and pride, 7 without cause, is said to have “his nose in the air”. There is 8 way a person with his nose in the air can be down-to-earth.
Americans 9 another expression that means almost the same as “down-to-earth”. The expression is “both-feet-on-the-ground”. Someone 10 both-feet-on-the-ground is a person with a good 11 of reality. He has what is called “common sense”. He may have dreams, 12 he does not allow them to block his knowledge of 13 is real.
The opposite kind of 14 is one who has his “head-in-the-clouds”. A man with his head-in-the-clouds is a 15 whose mind is not in the real world.
16 such a person can be brought back to earth. Sharp words from teacher can usually 17 a day-dreaming student down-to-earth.
Usually, the person who is down-to-earth is very 18 to have both feet on the ground. 19 we have both our feet on-the-ground, when we are down-to-earth, we act honestly and openly 20 others. Our lives are like the ground below us, solid and strong.
1. A. pick B. choose C. find D. receive
2. A. accepts B. recognizes C. thinks D. acts
3. A. same B. kind C. example D. opposite
4. A. companies B. society C. the world D. the government
5. A. come B. appear C. enter D. go
6. A. some B. others C. ones D. fellows
7. A. often B. rarely C. yet D. still
8. A. some B. a C. no D. every
9. A. discover B. find C. conclude D. use
10. A. at B. of C. with D. from
11. A. idea B. understanding C. opinion D. feeling
12. A. for B. or C. but D. and
13. A. that B. what C. such D. which
14. A. idea B. creature C. attitude D. person
15. A. dreamer B. stranger C. flyer D. settler
16. A. However B. Therefore C. Moreover D. sometimes
17. A. teach B. bring C. lead D. take
18. A. fit B. sure C. likely D. able
19. A. When B. Since C. Though D. Unless
20. A. toward B. with C. over D. onto
1~5 CADBD 6~10 BACDC 11~15 BCBDA 16~20 DBCAA